Renter's Insurance
Homewood Fire Marshal Rusty McCombs advises all renters to purchase renter’s insurance in order to protect their personal property in the event of a fire or other disaster. The need for renter’s insurance exists whether you are renting an apartment, a house or a dorm room. “The owner’s insurance only covers the structure and not the renter’s belongings,” he said.

“The first thing a renter needs to do is purchase renter’s insurance, because a fire that starts in another apartment can cause everything you own to be lost to fire or water damage,” said McCombs. This also applies to people living in college dorm rooms. Fire Chief John Bresnan added,”You can be the safest person in the world and your neighbor may not be.”

There are other precautions that apartment renters can take to make sure they are safe from fires according to Bresnan.

• Make yourself and your family aware of the possible ways to exit your building.
• Try to rent an apartment that is fire sprinkler protected.
• Place a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and make sure the whole family knows where it is located and how to use it.
• Install smoke detectors in each room so they can be heard even if the door is closed. Remember to check the battery monthly and replace the battery when the time changes in the spring and fall.